Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Day 0: Virginia Beach, Virginia: "On the Verge"

This may shock some friends, but sometimes I draw complete blanks when it comes to how to initiate something. This blog, and my Bike & Build experience, to which this blog is dedicated, are no exceptions.

Bike & Build started very much on a whim. It was Winter Break, and I was chewing over what to do with my Summer. I wanted a change. I wanted a timeless adventure. I wanted a chance to help others and improve myself in the process.

I found all of those things in Bike & Build. Tomorrow marks the beginning of an adventure as big and mighty as America itself. Tomorrow I meet my team, and in two days we will dip our bike wheels in the Atlantic Ocean, and then bike all the way from Virginia Beach, VA to Cannon Beach, OR. Along the way I'll be learning more about the Affordable Housing cause, and work as an advocate and volunteer for AH efforts.

Up until tomorrow, this has been nothing but a far-off fantasy. This last night always seemed so far away. Now that it's here, two questions stick in my mind: First, where did the time go?! Second, and more important, where will I be after this Summer?

For the next 2.5 months approximately, the road will be my home, my team will be my family, and the Pacific will be my calling. I'm riding right along the edge between excitement and terror, but I'm determined to make this.

If I can do this, I can do anything.

So, on the verge of it all, I suppose all I can say is I'm ready for whatever comes next. I anticipate many highs, many lows, and many tales to tell. Here's to the Road.

4 comments:

  1. I'm following you! I mean, not on the road across America, but on the information super highway! <3 you GL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for calling yesterday- we're so proud and excited for you!
    Tippy has forwarded this to all her girlfriends so the Bridge Club and etc. will be following too.

    See you in Cincy- will come bearing the Cookies of Destiny.

    Be safe!

    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxMAMA

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will - we are so excited for you and proud of you also. It sounds very challenging and rewarding at the same time. Safe travel!!
    Patti & Frank Strickler

    ReplyDelete